You are here

ARHU Facilities

Art-Sociology Building

The Department of Art, Department of Art History and Archaeology and the Art Gallery are in the Art-Sociology Building.

Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center

The School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies is located in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center (CSPAC).  It was dedicated in 2001 and named after Clarice Smith, a donor to the University of Maryland.  The Clarice Smith Center hosts various performing arts lectures, workshops and performances throughout the year to the public.

Cole Student Activities Building

The David C. Driskell Center and the Consortium on Race, Gender, and Ethnicity are inside the Cole Student Activities Building. Built in 1955 and originally named Cole Field House, it hosted the intercollegiate athletic events of the University from 1955 until 2002, when games began to be held at the Comcast Center.  It was named in honor of the chairman of the Board of Regents Judge William Cole, Jr., 1944-1956.

Francis Scott Key Hall

Francis Scott Key Hall houses the Department of History, the College of Arts and Humanities Dean's Office, and the Office of Student Affairs. Named after the "Star-Spangled Banner" author, this building was built from 1932 until 1940.

Holzapfel Hall

Holzapfel Hall houses the Department and Program of American Studies, the Joseph and Rebecca Meyerhoff Center for Jewish Studies, and the Joseph & Alma Gildenhorn Institute for Israel Studies. It was built in 1934 and named in honor of Henry Holzapfel, Jr., the chairman of the Board of Regents from 1941 to 1943.

Jiménez Hall

Jiménez Hall houses the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures and was built in 1962. It was named after Juan Ramon Jiménez, a Spanish poet, Nobel Prize winner, and a professor of Spanish literature and composition.  

Marie Mount Hall

Marie Mount Hall is home to the Department of Linguistics, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Studies Program and the Department of Classics. The building was named after the Dean of the College of Home Economics, M. Marie Mount.

McKeldin Library

The Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH) is housed in the basement of McKeldin Library.  McKeldin is a place that affords quiet study to the students of College Park.  It was designed by Henry Hopkins, built in 1958, and named after the 1951-1959 governor of Maryland, Theodore McKeldin.

Skinner Building

The Department of Communication and the Department of Philosophy are both in the Skinner Building, which was named after W.W. Skinner, chairman of the Board of Regents, who served from 1935 to 1941.

Susquehanna Hall

Susquehanna Hall now houses Arabic Studies, Persian Studies, and the University Counseling Center.  Built in 1991, the building was named after the Susquehanna River.

Taliaferro Hall (Pronounced Tolliver)

The Department of History is in Taliaferro Hall. It was built between 1894 and 1896, dedicated in 1908, and named in honor of Thomas Hardy Taliaferro, Dean of the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Tawes Hall

Tawes Hall houses the Department of English, the Comparative Literature Program, the Creative Writing Program, the Professional Writing Program, the Writing Center, and the Center for Literary and Comparative Studies. Tawes was named after the 1958-1966 governor of Maryland, J. Millard Tawes. Ulrich Recital Hall honors Homer Ulrich, former chairman of the School of Music. 

Woods Hall

The Department of Women’s Studies is housed in Woods Hall. It was named after Albert F. Woods, president of the University of Maryland from 1917 to 1926.