Grad Student Career ResourcesPlease see our Professional Pathways page for upcoming programming tailored just for you!
Networking, Interviewing, and Cover Letter Writing Skills:
- University of Michigan Networking Tips
- University of Michigan Cover Letter Tips
- UMD Career Center Mock Interviewing Tool
Are you considering a career outside of academia but don't know where to start?
Essays on job areas, the job process, and employer needs: Inside Higher Ed - Carpe Career
The Chronical of Higher Ed has a great new (free!) feature called www.chroniclevitae.com which as a free dossier service, among other useful things.
Check out Versatile PhD (VPhD), a new online resource that helps you identify, prepare for, and excel in multiple career paths in the humanities, social science and STEM fields. Many of the skills you develop during your doctoral studies can be applied to a variety of careers in higher education and in the public, private, and non-profit sectors. The Versatile PhD can help you make the right choice for your career.
Its key feature, the PhD Career Finder, is an interactive tool that allows you to explore careers based on your academic discipline and to see real-life examples of PhDs and ABDs who entered multiple career paths: their stories, advice, inside information about their fields, even the actual resumes and cover letters they used to get their first post-academic jobs! The Graduate School has purchased an institutional membership to VPhD. This means that you get premium access to this resource simply be being a UMD graduate student!
The Chronicle of Higher Ed also has a piece: The PhD's Guide to a Non-faculty Job Search
More Pathways beyond the Academy:
- Tips for obtaining Government jobs
- Tips for obtaining a position in Academic Administration
- Tips for obtaining Non-academic jobs
- Tips for obtaining a position in Agencies & Nonprofits, Community Colleges, and Arts and Academic Administration 2013
For those interested in academic jobs, we suggest the following resources:
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: Graduate Students
- Professional Development During Your Doctoral Education (Schiappa: National Communication Association)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Hiring Blog
- PENN Career Services Blog
- UMD Graduate Student Career Possibilities
- UT Liberal Arts Career Services: Non-Academic Jobs
- Academic Job Search Survival Handbook (University of California, San Diego)
- PENN Career Services: Interviewing Advice
- InterviewStream (Virtual Mock Interviewing)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Women in Higher Education
- American Historical Association
- College Art Association
- Academic Keys for the Humanities
- H-Net: Humanities and Social Sciences Job Guide
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Jobs Listing
- POSTDOC Jobs
- University Jobs
- Academic Careers Online
- HigherEd Jobs
- Educaloxy: Academic Jobs in Schools of Education, Arts, and Languages