To support the professional development of our graduate students through the presentation of original research, the College of Arts and Humanities awards grants for travel to significant national and international conferences. There will be three competitions per year.
Eligible expenses include transportation, lodging, registration fees and per diem for food.
General Guidelines: Up to $500 for travel within North America and up to $700 for international travel.
College deadlines (for departments to submit materials to the ARHU Dean’s office):
Round 1 - Friday, October 2, 2015; Round 2 - Friday, December 4, 2015; and Round 3 - Friday, May 6, 2016.
Please check with individual program graduate director for departmental deadline previous to these College deadlines.
To apply, please submit the online application form providing the following information:
- Short c.v. (including up-to-date contact information and address)
- Stage of graduate career (e.g., defending dissertation in Fall 2015)
- Brief description (no more than two paragraphs) of the research to be presented, its significance in the field and the format of the presentation (e.g. paper on a panel, poster presentation). Include a statement of the review process your presentation underwent. Please keep in mind that you are contextualizing your research for non-specialists.
- Brief description of the conference and its organizing body, including the url of the conference/organization website
- Brief Statement of the contribution the conference will make to your career
- Statement on whether other funding sources have been sought for this travel(e.g. Goldhaber Travel Awards from the Graduate School). Students are encouraged to apply for outside funding.
- Budget of estimated costs
- Copy of the letter/email accepting the presentation
Priority will be given to students attending national or international conferences of major professional organizations. We particularly hope to help students toward the end of their graduate careers gain experience and make contacts important to their to their job prospects. However, the intellectual and professional development of each student is also a priority, thus the Fellowship Committee will also provide some funds for students presenting original work at prestigious conferences early in their careers (e.g., before advancing to candidacy).
Preference will be given to students who have not had an ARHU Travel Award in the past. Awards will not be given for travel that has already taken place.
NB: These applications must be turned in on time to be considered for the current cycle. Please do not apply in Round 1 for travel that will take place in February or later in the following semester.
The entire application is now electronic! To apply, please go to: https://apply.arhu.umd.edu.
For further information please contact Trevor Parry-Giles at 301-641-0019 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the Graduate School Web site notes, the Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Grants are intended to help defray the expenses incurred by graduate students who are traveling to scholarly, scientific, or professional conferences to present papers, posters, or other scholarly material.
The International Conference Student Support Award will cover a graduate student’s conference registration fee up to $500. To be eligible, a graduate student must be presenting a paper, poster, or other research or creative material at a major, international scholarly, scientific, or professional conference that is held outside the US. Applications are currently being accepted for travel scheduled for July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014. Eligible graduate students now are invited to submit applictions for international travel during these dates. Funds will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Additionaly, we are expanding the program so that graduate students are eligible to receive the ICSSA twice, once before candidacy (which includes both doctoral and MA students) and a second time after the achievement of candidacy (doctoral students only).
If you have any questions, please contact Robyn Kotzker at (301) 405-0281.