The university’s academic deadlines are clearly outlined in the Schedule of Classes each semester (www.testudo.umd.edu). It is expected that students assess their academic standing throughout the course of the semester and plan accordingly. Should a student encounter a circumstance or situation that is beyond his/her ability to predict or control that ultimately impacts academic performance, then a request for an exception to academic policy can be submitted for review.
Types of Exceptions to Policy
For the following requests, a student must contact the ARHU Office of Student Affairs in 1120 Francis Scott Key Hall:
- Late add of class from current semester
- Credit overload (permission to register for more than 16 credits before 1st day of classes)
- Drop more 4 credits after Schedule Adjustment
- Repeating more than 18 credits
- Permission to Enroll at another university
- Time conflict
- Late application for graduation
For the following requests, a student must submit via the online form below. Reviews of such requests take 7-10 days after all required documentation has been submitted.
- Change of Grading Method
- Adding a course from a previous semester
- DROP after schedule adjustment without a "W" (retroactive withdrawal without a "W")
- DROP after withdrawal period with a "W" (retroactive withdrawal with a "W")
To complete the online Dean's Exception to Policy Request Form, click here.