A student considering an ARHU major must take the FLPT (or be assessed in a language that does not offer the test--see below) before he/she will be able to declare/add an ARHU major.
The FLPT is an online exam designed to measure students’ foreign language proficiency. The results are used to place students in the appropriate foreign language course. The FLPT is governed by the UMD Code of Academic Integrity.
Students are expected to perform at their highest level and should not solicit outside help with the exam. Students’ placement will be assessed for accuracy during the schedule adjustment period and can impact registration if it is determined that students have been placed above or below their ability.
While no formal preparation is required for the placement exam, students are encouraged to review the materials from the last language course taken.
FOR ALL STUDENTS
All students planning to take a foreign language class are required to take the FLPT prior to course registration. The FLPT is administered in two ways:
- On-line FLPT: At home examination for UMD students planning to take a foreign language course.
- Proctored FLPT: (for students majoring or intending to major in Arts & Humanities) Scheduled, supervised examination for students who have advanced language experience and are seeking an exemption from the the Arts & Humanities' Global Engagement Requirement.
Please note that you do not have to take the FLPT if you have:
- Completed the pre-requisite college course work for the course you plan to take.
- Received a high enough AP or IB score to meet the pre-requisite for the course you plan to take and have sent the score(s) to UMD. Click here to review AP/IB score chart.
FOR CURRENT OR FUTURE ARHU MAJORS
ARHU students are responsible for satisfying the new ARHU Global Engagement Requirement which requires the study of a language. ARHU students who have already satisfied the existing foreign language requirement have in fact fulfilled the Global Engagement Requirement.
A student considering an ARHU major must take the FLPT (or be assessed in a language that does not offer the test--see below) before he/she will be able to declare/add an ARHU major. For exemption from the Global Engagement Requirement: scores WILL NOT be eligible for exemption unless students take the online FLPT on campus in a scheduled, proctored lab. It is typically recommended that students seeking exemption have native/heritage speaker proficiency or have completed level four or higher in high school.
The process for language placement and exemption varies by language. Please view the following documents for specific requirements:
- Languages offering the FLPT ( Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Hebrew)
- Languages not offering the FLPT, but still requiring assessment (Modern Greek, Ancient Greek, Latin and Yiddish)
- Languages not offered at UMD- If you are a native/heritage speaker of a language not taught at UMD and are seeking exemption from the ARHU Global Engagement Requirement based on that language, you will need to sign up for an exam administered by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). You will need to score at the advanced mid (AM) level or higher to qualify for exemption.
TO TAKE THE FOREIGN LANGUAGE PLACEMENT TEST CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE LINK BELOW
For more information, contact the ARHU Office of Student Affairs 301-405-2108 or email@example.com.