Staff Council Functions
- To facilitate a healthy, civil College culture
- To identify and address common issues directly affecting staff.
- To communicate matters of academic and administrative policy to College staff and respond to their concerns.
- To actively solicit information and opinions from College staff on pending College matters and communication such information to the Dean.
- To receive and consider recommendations from the Dean and College community on matters of College concern by providing a staff perspective.
- To participate in the promotion of excellence in instruction, research, and creative activities; and advise the Dean on long-range plans for professional and physical development of the of the College.
- To promote collegial referenda and set guidelines for selection of Council members and senate representatives.
- To facilitate College communication through various means of information dispersal.
- To propose changes in the College's plan of organization.
- To recommend staff representation on search committees charged with the responsibility to select a new dean of the College.
- To sponsor, facilitate and promote professional and personal development of staff.
- To facilitate networking opportunities for staff of the College.
Relationship to the Dean
Activities of the Staff Council must be consistent with Article 20 of the Memorandums of Understanding for Exempt and Non-exempt staff (MOU documents are available at http://uhr.umd.edu/staff-relations/). Recommendations from the Staff Council will be submitted to the Dean for consideration. If the Dean does not agree with a recommendation of the Staff Council, the Dean shall state the reasons in writing. Any recommendation made by the Staff Council as it pertains to bargaining unit employees on any subject which constitutes a mandatory subject of bargaining may not be approved, finalized or implemented by the University until the University notifies and bargains with AFSCME.
Staff Council Support
The College, through the Office of the Dean, shall furnish assistance to the Staff Council as a whole, and to its committees, in the discharging of official business. This shall include assistance with the selection of representatives and any other business involving the staff of the College.
- The Dean shall have voice but not vote in the Staff Council.
- Each academic and administrative grouping (as defined by the Staff Council) shall select one representative (and one alternate who shall attend and vote in the absence of the selected representative) to the Staff Council. Selections should be made prior to April 30 each year. Staff members shall serve for a term of two years from July 1 after selection and may not serve for more than two successive terms.
- There shall be representation by one faculty, one undergraduate student and one graduate student who shall be identified by the Council Chair and the Dean. These representatives shall have voice, but not vote, in the deliberations of the Council and each shall come from a different unit within the College. Student and faculty members shall serve for a term of one year from July 1 after selection and may not serve for more than two successive terms.
The Staff Council shall meet at least five times during the fiscal year. A quorum shall be a majority of the selected members. Meetings shall be opn to all staff of the College and to others that the Council may admit. Staff Council meetings are currently sheduled for 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
Officers of the Staff Council are the Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary. Officers shall be elected from and by the selected members of the Staff Council. The Chair shall preside over all meetings or, in the absence of the Chair, the Vice-Chair shall preside.